[REBOL] Re: Looking over the horizon - Rebol 3
From: petr:krenzelok:trz:cz at: 10-Nov-2003 21:30
Tim Johnson wrote:
>* Steven White <[Steven--White--ci--bloomington--mn--us]> [031110 09:43]:
>>>Anything else you'd want on your wish list for Rebol 3?
> Here's mine
> 1)Protect an object member.
> 2)Fix the binary 'skip bug.
> 3)Regex support
> 4)Optional module linkage.
> Ex: Rebol is distributed with binary modules.
> example: regex engine
> (don't need source code necessarily)
> Make file provided that allows linkage
> of optional modules.
> I know that this could be a bit complex,
> but is likely more doable in a POSIX environment.
> (i.e. the OS has a ansi-C compliant compiler)
1) I do not know if it is the same - but - finishing the idea of
language plug-ins. IIRC, Doc even described that for R#, he meay
introduce something like low-level dialect to program directly in, which
would be compiled - kind of RVM? Currently we have draw dialect - more
of such dialects, e.g. bitmap operation, number crunching could be
usefull. Simply - specialised dialects where it does make sense.
Libraries are nice, but hardly cross-platform.
2) end of product hell - core, view x y z version, command, face, base
... what else? one exe - binary modules. For those who don't like files
scattered around hd:
3) native .zip .rar .arj ports/schemes - WinAmp puts all skin files into
.zip file and reads it directly from there. Would be way cooler than
anything along the lines of .rip and similar proprietary formats which
have no chance being widely accepted. What is more - Windows Commander
or even other managers treat archives as being directories -
4) all cyphre's suggestions to View kernel + view plug-ins. Support of
Direct3D or similar technologies -using advantages of certain platforms
5) slowly to prepare for PDA and similar mobile devices - considering
Symbian, PalmOS 6, WinCE ports - sorry if I hurt someone, but imo BSDs,
Solaris etc. should be left with Core/Command versions, View is not all
that important there - otoh I will surely have difficulties explaining
some managers IOS can't run on single mobile device!!!
6) enhanced VID
7) finishing async networking as originally planned, including async console
8) browser plug-ins - deployment is the word - if user can't start it
from browser, he/she will not regard it being part of web. I want to do
my web forms using VID, not java script crap ;-)
9) vhelp function - which would bring visual help along the lines of
dictionary script put on IOS (good idea Robert, isn't it? :-)
10) extension of 'about function - visual box showing Carl's photo :-)