[REBOL] Re: [Ann] Mailing list archive - a new home
From: SunandaDH:aol at: 15-Jan-2004 10:12
Thanks to Brett and Jason and Gerard and Pekr for the replies.
A couple of comments:
> can't wait till you add search etc.
This may be halfway usable in a couple of weeks. There's a three-stage "plan":
1. Link to the ML archive from REBOL.org to make this new feature live. I'll
do that in the next day or two, assuming I don't get any shop-stopping bug
2. Within a week or two, Google should have found and indexed all the content
(we get good service fom Google: new scripts are usually in its index within
This'll mean you'll be able to use Google to search the archive....
Example: find individual scripts that contain the words parse and cgi:
parse cgi site:www.rebol.org inurl:ml-display-message
Example: find threads that contain 'wait but not 'binary
wait -binary site:www.rebol.org inurl:ml-display-thread
3. Then put up a find box and use the Google SOAP API to run the queries and
display the results in Library look'n'feel.
> the question is, if it would not be easier to resubscribe
> to escribe? It has common interface, good search, is known etc.
I don't know why escribe stopped taking the list, or if they will restart it
(there is a note on their site saying "no new lists" so they may be winding
down this side of their business).
But even if they do, we have some features they don't:
1. An intelligently alphabetical index of threads
2. Intelligent removal of bottom-quoting and advertising lines -- making it
far less of a pain when reading a whole thread (far less unwanted repetition)
3. Generally faster, in my experience.
Plus we've got a few ideas for things to make it even better -- I hope they
will be rolled out over the next few months.
More comments are welcome, please,