[REBOL] Re: How-To promote REBOL?
From: jasonic:cunliffe:verizon at: 27-Dec-2001 0:10
Hi Yek Soon
I think Gregg's answer was right on.. Don't forget:
REBOL is FUN!
Why is REBOL fun ?
- Interactive CLI development
- Missing most of the wired syntax and punctuation which lcutters up other
- Intuitive 'forward-forth' structure whicc evokes nautral language and
- Great Community
- It is something new, elegant, different and interesting
> For a start, I have these in mind and would like to hear from the
> their opinions.
> 1. Rapid development
> 2. Graphical user interface
> 3. Cross-platform applications
> 4. Standard network protocol support
> 5. The REBOL community
+ very __tiny__ footprint for system + scripts
+ very very easy to install [compare Unix or Windows headaches avoided]
+ low cost!
+ well timed for people-people development
> Others reason which I am not too sure if REBOL fits the bill
> - Extensible applications
.. are not all langauges..? what do you really mean here?
> - Flexible integration
> Is it easy for REBOL to call Java, C, VB etc... or vice-versa
REBOL/Command has 'call'
> - Enterprise Ready
> What is required for REBOL to be considered Enterprise Ready?
[duh:] A business must use it ?
seriously: Security and ODBC features in REBOL/Command are plus,
but lack of many REBOL progammers in Job market minds may be an obstacle.
> - Easy to learn
> Seems subjective, but so far I find it easy enough to learn from the codes
> of other people
> and learn through trial-n-error and more importantly getting help from the
I agree, but documentation lacks especially View/VID
> I would appreciate any feedback on the TOP 10 reasons.
I think you should be prepared for answering potential negatives questions
[is scattered adn laggin behind tech deevlopment, the official book has NO
INDEX = amateurs yikes!!!! ++ the RT web site is still pretty lame with big
holos in it, funky links, and lots missing]
2. low-profile [never heard of it.. or not for several years]
3. proprietary kernel source
4. lack of books or recent media coverage [try google adn you will see what
5. very small community [see Enterprise above]