Mailing List Archive: 49091 messages
  • Home
  • Script library
  • AltME Archive
  • Mailing list
  • Articles Index
  • Site search

[REBOL] Re: AW: Re: read ftp:// error

From: gjones05:mail:orion at: 31-May-2001 7:18

Hi, Thorsten, My suggestions yesterday clearly suffered from sloppiness. Sorry! I've corrected the oversites AND tested what I could of the result. It should work now. Comments interspersed below: From: "Thorsten Moeller"
> Hi Scott, > > thanks for your detailed explanation what to do. > I produced the file, studied its working, and did > some modification, mainly for data tracking. > But for some purposes, when i "do" the generated > file as described, it doesn't seem to have any effect.
I forgot to have you assign the new scheme to the original system ftp scheme word path! Use this line to load your hacked version: system/schemes/ftp: do %/path/to/my/ftp-hack.r
> Is there a way to verify that REBOL uses my > scheme, not the standard one?
The simplest way to be sure it has been loaded in the proper space is to re-probe at the console: probe system/schemes/ftp and scroll up to verify that the hacked lines appear. Additionally, placing a {print "I'm here"} statement at the earliest possibly entry points can give some reassurance while running trials on the hack.
> As well REBOL ask me for a header when doing > the .../ftp_hack.r, so my file has to look like this > > REBOL [] > FTP: > make object! [ > scheme: 'FTP > host: none > port-id: 21 > user: none > .....
Silly me. Of course you have done the correct thing. Sorry to waste your time.
> Bringing this task to a success, i will post a > workaround to the list. > > Thorsten
Great! By the way, I added the foreach print loop to my sample hack, and did simple ftp directory and file reads, and to my amazement, this function is called each time (I wish I could figure out where this is getting called. Grrr!). So I feel confident that this is where the error is occurring. Check it out with your system, and you should see the German versions of the month(s). These then cause the error on the 'to-date line. I have not checked out the following (and really have no convenient way to test it), but these are my thoughts on the work-around, assuming that the above results yield the German names for the months. At the top of the add-date function, you see: add-date: func [] [ month: first pdate system/words/remove pdate system/words/insert skip pdate 1 month ... Try adding the following: add-date: func [] [ month: first pdate if find ["Mär" "Mai" "Okt" "Dez"] month [month: select ["Mär" "Mar" Mai "May" "Okt" "Oct" "Dez" "Dec"] month] system/words/remove pdate system/words/insert skip pdate 1 month ... Of course, I don't know the actual way that the German month names are abbreviated (I used alta-vista's babel-fish), so these series may need to be altered to suit. Hopefully, this is self-evident (which guarantees that it won't be! ;-). Then once this new hack is reloaded, then the program will hopefully work on English and German versions of file systems. Now we only have the other 100+ languages!!! ;-) I suspect that this functionality could be made more generic, but first see if any of the above is helpful. Best wishes, --Scott Jones