[REBOL] Re: New competition: do you accept the challenge?! :-)
From: petr:krenzelok:seznam:cz at: 7-Nov-2007 0:06
My machine shows 15 sec in R2. 12 after following optimisations:
str: make string! 5000
finale: make string! 50000
repeat i 10000 [
loop 500 [
j: j + 1
insert tail str reduce [i #"," j #"-"]
insert tail finale copy/part next str 4
print length? finale
print (now/time - s1/time)
Just chatted with Carl on r3 world and some of his suggestions:
- The line: repeat j 500  is very expensive inside a repeat 10000.
- Because, repeat must deep copy and rebind its body block 10000 times.
- You may want to try a LOOP 500, with just a normal ++ j in there instead.
- Also, [i #"," j #"-"] is faster -- but may not be that much faster.
- skip str 1 --> next str
- Otherwise, seems to look good.