[REBOL] Re: Windows GUI apps: Rebol/SDK vs. Visual C++ 2003
From: petr:krenzelok:trz:cz at: 24-Jan-2003 14:50
as for me, my reasons are clear enough:
1) I am not fluent with C++
2) We used here Visual Objects from Computer Associates. It has really
strong object orientation, but to be fluent with the language, you
really need to understand its component inheritance mechanism etc. If
you switch to Delphi for e.g., you learn different model etc etc.
3) With View you learn once and it is cross-platform (although
cros-platformity of rebol is shrinking with latest releases) ...
4) View is cool engine to work with - VID is so cool - you are free from
all that overbloated complex crap ...
5) New styles you miss can be produced, I think we are not all that far
away ... tree-view, tab-view, menu, context-menu ... all done, although
not released ... what you could miss especially with data app is more
advanced grid style, but I am sure it can be done. As for IDE, contact
Ammon to give you some info about RIDE, - I am not part of his beta
group so I don't know anything concrete ...
1) as you mentioned, it can be lack of buy-once, distribute anywhere. I
will sign with RT, as I don't want to touch anything different than
Rebol, but for some ppl it can be a stopper
2) lack of some View capabilities:
- direct printing
- more than one text style per face (color-text)
- proper keyboard handler
- antialiased fonts
3) View + Core - lack of speed in some specific task - not suitable for
number crunching, fast gfx effects, - forget multimedia with rebol ....
you can help yourself with external libraries, but you will be
responsible to port it to other platforms of your usage ...
All we know is - RT wants to adress those issues, but we don't know the
priority list though, nor do we know the capabilities they want to
add/change in rebol kernels. So, you have to decide also upon what kind
of apps you want to develop - general gui apps are OK, any kind of
specific multimedia-related app is not currently possible ....