Mailing List Archive: 49091 messages
  • Home
  • Script library
  • AltME Archive
  • Mailing list
  • Articles Index
  • Site search
 

Rebol Virtual Office project ...

 [1/15] from: petr:krenzelok:trz:cz at: 16-Aug-2001 22:41


Hi, I just today talked to Etienne in RIM conference room, and he told me about his nice Rebol project. I asked him for few screenshots and ability to post such screenshots into my gallery. So here we go. I also a little bit adapted his explanatory email, but hey, I am no html guru, so ... http://www.rebol.cz/~can/rebol-view/virtual-office/ Cheers, -pekr-

 [2/15] from: cyoungbl:legato at: 16-Aug-2001 14:58


This is really cool. It makes me envious how expert some of you guys are at REBOL. I'm an experienced programmer, but I'm finding that it takes some getting used to... more so than a lot of other languages.

 [3/15] from: etienne:alaurent:free at: 17-Aug-2001 0:57


Hi, Petr, I noticed your mail. That's ok :-)) I will wait and see all rebolers reactions. And, depending of them, perhaps I will intensify my works, make public the prototype, and, why not, build a new great project. So, wait and see ... --- Etienne

 [4/15] from: carl:cybercraft at: 17-Aug-2001 13:05


On 17-Aug-01, Etienne ALAURENT wrote:
> Hi, Petr, > I noticed your mail. That's ok :-)) > I will wait and see all rebolers reactions. And, depending of them, > perhaps I will intensify my works, make public the prototype, and, > why not, build a new great project.
How functional is it in its present state? It /looks/ wonderful and it's a neat concept, even if it might be coverering much the same ground as Express.
> So, wait and see ...
Go for it. -- Carl Read

 [5/15] from: dan:rebol at: 16-Aug-2001 19:03


very cool stuff. Etienne looks like quite the GUI expert. Thanks for sharing this Pekr. At 10:41 PM 8/16/01 +0200, you wrote:

 [6/15] from: ammoncooke:yaho:o at: 17-Aug-2001 0:43


Hi Etienne, Looks awesome!! Is there any chance of getting that in the English version? How much are you looking to charge, what is your marketing scheme?? Thanks!! Ammon ----- Original Message ----- From: "Petr Krenzelok" <[petr--krenzelok--trz--cz]> To: <[rebol-list--rebol--com]> Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2001 12:41 PM Subject: [REBOL] Rebol Virtual Office project ...
> Hi, > > I just today talked to Etienne in RIM conference room, and he told me
about
> his nice Rebol project. I asked him for few screenshots and ability to
post
> such screenshots into my gallery. So here we go. I also a little bit
adapted
> his explanatory email, but hey, I am no html guru, so ... > http://www.rebol.cz/~can/rebol-view/virtual-office/
<<quoted lines omitted: 4>>
> [rebol-request--rebol--com] with "unsubscribe" in the > subject, without the quotes.
---------------------------------------------------- NetZero Platinum Sign Up Today - Only $9.95 per month! http://my.netzero.net/s/signup?r=platinum&refcd=PT97

 [7/15] from: zaako:linkpaks at: 17-Aug-2001 2:41


Etienne I will second that WOW Looks Awesome! Nice elegant layout and seems modular to the max. I've been looking for a good Global & Shared Desktop for years! Your VO's GUI look great. What stage is the code in? I can Give you web space / site / download space, assistance etc. [Zaak--ITeam--ws] ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ At 03:43 AM 8/17/2001, you wrote:

 [8/15] from: cyphre:volny:cz at: 17-Aug-2001 9:44


It looks great! First really cool GUI design. Keep up this awesome work Etienne! Cyphre

 [9/15] from: allenk:powerup:au at: 17-Aug-2001 18:26


Very cool! I take it this is the enhanced version of what you showed me a while back ;-) So you managed to fix that problem you had with my dropdown style? (I guess you had to recode it from scratch, which would have been the best solution, I'd like to see the fix for that.) Cheers, Allen K

 [10/15] from: etienne:alaurent:free at: 17-Aug-2001 11:40


Hi Zaak, Le ven, 17 aoû 2001, vous avez écrit :
>Etienne >I will second that WOW Looks Awesome! >Nice elegant layout and seems modular to the max.
Thank you.
>I've been looking for a good Global & Shared Desktop for years! >Your VO's GUI look great. >What stage is the code in?
First, I have to say that many widgets I use were developped by ***Nenad Rakocevic***, known in the list as DocKimbel (congratulations for his job), and ***Allen Kamp*** (for the auto-fill, calendar, drop-down and up-down widgets). I made some improvements. secondly, VO is in a very very very pre alpha stage. Lots of functionalities are frozen because there are some big bugs I have to remove. To make public the prototype, I must resolve these kinds of thinks - the code is enough complex :-(
>I can Give you web space / site / download space, assistance etc. >[Zaak--ITeam--ws]
Oh, great. I'm interested in that. Can you take me more infos ? Cheers, --- Etienne

 [11/15] from: etienne:alaurent:free at: 17-Aug-2001 12:05


Hi, Allen, Le ven, 17 aoû 2001, vous avez écrit :
>Very cool!
Thank you
> I take it this is the enhanced version of what you showed me a while back >;-)
That's true.
>So you managed to fix that problem you had with my dropdown style? (I >guess you had to recode it from scratch, which would have been the best >solution, I'd like to see the fix for that.)
In fact, all your advices where good. The dropdown code was enhanced (a lttle if I can remember), and I mixed the calendar and dropdown styles to make a calendar dropdown style. dropdown style : ---------------------------------- dropdown: text black white 100 edge [color: 110.120.130 size: 2x2 effect: 'ibevel] effect [grid 1200x4 230.230.230] font [shadow: none] middle with [ list-lay: none show-arrow?: true rows: 4 size: 100x24 line-list: action: none list-data: copy [] dd-feel: make face/feel [ over: redraw: detect: none engage: func [face action event][ switch action [ time [if not face/state [face/blinker: not face/blinker]] down [face/state: on] alt-down [face/state: on] up [if face/state [face/show-dropdown] face/state: off] alt-up [if face/state [do-face-alt face none] face/state: off] over [face/state: on] away [face/state: off] ] show face ] ] arrow-button: does [ layout [ origin 0x0 arrow down [self/show-dropdown] edge [color: 110.120.130 size: 2x2 effect: 'ibevel] 128.128.128 14x20 ar-but ;img-bleu1 ; image in the arrow-button ] ] show-dropdown: func [/local tl picked][ if not list-lay [ list-lay: layout [ ;styles skin-ui origin 0x0 at 0x0 tl: text-list data self/list-data to-pair reduce [size/x rows * 15 + 4] effect [grid 1200x4 230.230.230] self/font/color self/color bold [ self/data: self/text: value show list-lay wait 0:0:0.03 ; long enough to see selection hide-popup show self ] do [if picked: find self/list-data self/text [append clear tl/picked first picked]] ] list-lay/offset: to-pair reduce [self/offset/x self/offset/y + self/size/y] ] show-popup/window/away list-lay self/parent-face do-events list-lay do-face self self/data ] reset: does [list-lay: none] resize: does [ reset ; so list-pane will redraw at correct size {Reset if a change has been made to the data} size/x: max 32 size/x size/y: max 24 size/y either show-arrow? [ pane: arrow-button pane/offset: 0x0 pane/offset/x: self/size/x - arrow-button/size/x - 4 arrow-button/size/y: self/size/y ][pane: none] show self ] pane: none words: [data [new/list-data: second args next args] rows [new/rows: second args next args]] init: append copy init [ arrow-button: arrow-button resize self/feel: self/dd-feel ] ] ---------------------------------- calendar dropdown style : Be careful : in the show-caldropdown func, layout is referring to "styles skins". Skins must contain the calendar widget as you defined it ---------------------------------- caldropdown: text black white 100 edge [color: 110.120.130 size: 2x2 effect: 'ibevel] effect [grid 1200x4 230.230.230] font [shadow: none] middle with [ cal-lay: none show-arrow?: true size: 100x24 line-list: action: none dd-feel: make face/feel [ over: redraw: detect: none engage: func [face action event][ switch action [ time [if not face/state [face/blinker: not face/blinker]] down [face/state: on] alt-down [face/state: on] up [if face/state [face/show-caldropdown] face/state: off] alt-up [if face/state [do-face-alt face none] face/state: off] over [face/state: on] away [face/state: off] ] show face ] ] arrow-button: does [ layout [ origin 0x0 arrow down [self/show-caldropdown] edge [color: 110.120.130 size: 2x2 effect: 'ibevel] 128.128.128 14x20 ar-but ;img-bleu1 ; image in the arrow-button ] ] show-caldropdown: func [/local c][ cal-lay: layout [ styles skins origin 0x0 at 0x0 c: calendar with [show-navbar?: true] [ either c/effect? c/date 'oval [ c/remove-effect c/date 'oval ][ c/add-effect c/date 'oval ] self/data: self/text: c/date show cal-lay wait 0:0:0.03 hide-popup show self ] ] cal-lay/offset: to-pair reduce [self/offset/x self/offset/y + self/size/y] show-popup/window/away cal-lay self/parent-face/parent-face/parent-face do-events cal-lay do-face self self/data ] reset: does [cal-lay: none] resize: does [ reset ; so list-pane will redraw at correct size {Reset if a change has been made to the data} size/x: max 32 size/x size/y: max 24 size/y either show-arrow? [ pane: arrow-button pane/offset: 0x0 pane/offset/x: self/size/x - arrow-button/size/x - 4 arrow-button/size/y: self/size/y ][pane: none] show self ] pane: none init: append copy init [ arrow-button: arrow-button resize self/feel: self/dd-feel ] ] ---------------------------------- Cheers, --- Etienne

 [12/15] from: etienne:alaurent:free at: 17-Aug-2001 12:24


Hi, Ammon, Le ven, 17 aoû 2001, vous avez écrit :
>Hi Etienne, > > Looks awesome!!
Thank you.
>Is there any chance of getting that in the English version?
Yes, but first I want to fix the big bugs, and I have to finish all the server's part of VO.
>How much are you looking to charge, what is your marketing >scheme??
When I talked yesterday to Petr in RIM conference room, he asked me this kind of questions. In fact, I developped VO for fun, and to learn Rebol and Rebol/View. Now, I'm interrested in going further in technical, marketing, commercial (why not), etc... developments. But, at this time, I never thought about all this. So, if anyone has suggestions ... Cheers, --- Etienne

 [13/15] from: etienne:alaurent:free at: 17-Aug-2001 13:12


Hi, Cyphre, Le ven, 17 aoû 2001, vous avez écrit :
>It looks great! First really cool GUI design. >Keep up this awesome work Etienne! > >Cyphre
Thank you. The more I work on VO, the more I think my work is coming closer to SWIS (in the meaning of a small, distributed windowing system or window manager). I'm waiting for your next SWIS version, with all the graphical improvement. --- Etienne

 [14/15] from: cyphre:volny:cz at: 17-Aug-2001 17:02


Hi Etienne,
> The more I work on VO, the more I think my work is coming closer to SWIS
(in
> the meaning of a small, distributed windowing system or window manager). > > I'm waiting for your next SWIS version, with all the graphical
improvement.
I hope I'll be able to release next version (which is almost completely rewriten from scratch) in couple of weeks. Still lots of thing to do....but finally, I have a bit more time for reboling so be prepared ;-) Anyway, I'm planing to release one simple app (which is using "old" SWIS api) next week to shorten waiting for the new SWIS... Regards Cyphre

 [15/15] from: ammoncooke:yaho:o at: 17-Aug-2001 21:11


I know that REBOL wants $900 for the server on Express! I don't currently recall what they wanted as a price on the workstations, but if I recall correctly they did want an additional sum per workstation. Which I think is a little over-priced, but I have no idea how much time they spent developing it, nor do I know just how many customers they want. & this is all just my little opinion. I would like to see it available as a server (i.e. I can buy & place a server version of on my machine) but I would also like to see it available as a subscription service for like $5-10, But.. all I can do is say what I would pay. Enjoy!! HTH. Ammon ----- Original Message ----- From: "Etienne ALAURENT" <[etienne--alaurent--free--fr]> To: <[rebol-list--rebol--com]> Sent: Friday, August 17, 2001 2:24 AM Subject: [REBOL] Re: Rebol Virtual Office project ...
> Hi, Ammon, > Le ven, 17 aoû 2001, vous avez écrit :
<<quoted lines omitted: 7>>
> >How much are you looking to charge, what is your marketing >scheme?? > When I talked yesterday to Petr in RIM conference room, he asked me this
kind
> of questions. In fact, I developped VO for fun, and to learn Rebol and > Rebol/View. Now, I'm interrested in going further in technical, marketing, > commercial (why not), etc... developments. But, at this time, I never
thought
> about all this. > So, if anyone has suggestions ...
<<quoted lines omitted: 6>>
> [rebol-request--rebol--com] with "unsubscribe" in the > subject, without the quotes.
---------------------------------------------------- NetZero Platinum Sign Up Today - Only $9.95 per month! http://my.netzero.net/s/signup?r=platinum&refcd=PT97

Notes
  • Quoted lines have been omitted from some messages.
    View the message alone to see the lines that have been omitted