Mailing List Archive: 49091 messages
  • Home
  • Script library
  • AltME Archive
  • Mailing list
  • Articles Index
  • Site search

imanXwin kludge

 [1/4] from: ptretter:charter at: 9-Aug-2002 7:34

val: "imanXwin kludge" kludge: In information technology, a kludge (pronounced KLOOdzh) is an awkward or clumsy (but at least temporarily effective) solution to a programming or hardware design or implementation problem. According to Eric Raymond, the term is indirectly derived from the German klug meaning clever. Raymond considers "kludge" an incorrect spelling of kluge, a term of the 1940s with the same general meaning and possibly inspired by the Kluge paper feeder, a "fiendishly complex assortment of cams, belts, and linkages...devilishly difficult to repair...but oh, so clever!" A kludge originates because another, more elegant or appropriate solution is not currently possible (perhaps because of time constraints). Hardware and software products are sometimes the result of adding a new and basically incompatible design to the original design rather than redesigning the product completely. What is a kludge can be a matter of opinion. Users often have a different opinion than the designers, who understand the problems that had to be overcome. To the extent that information technology products are combinations of elements originating from a variety of design philosophies and constraints, almost any product is bound to contain some element of kludginess. ?

 [2/4] from: tomc:darkwing:uoregon at: 9-Aug-2002 10:22

why not... have some more ....
>> do
connecting to: Script: "Dict" (10-Oct-2001) __________________________________________________________ word to check or q? kludge connecting to: kludge or kluge (klj) n. Slang A system, especially a computer system, that is constituted of poorly matched elements or of elements originally inten ded for other applications. A clumsy or inelegant solution to a problem. [From ironic use of earlier kluge, smart, clever, from spelling pronunciation of German kluge, from Middle High German kluc, fr om Middle Low German klk.]kludge v. kludgy adj. Pronunciation KeySource: The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth EditionCopyright 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved. kludge <jargon> /kluhj/ (From the old Scots "kludgie" meaning an outside toilet) A Scottish engineering term for anything added in an ad hoc (and possibly unhygenic!) manner. At some point during the Second World War, Scottish engineers met Americans and the meaning, spelling and pronunciation of kludge became confused with that of "kluge". The spelling "kludge" was apparently popularised by the Datamation cited below which defined it as "An ill-assorted collection of poorly matching parts, forming a distressing whole." The result of this tangled history is a mess; in 1993, many (perhaps even most) hackers pronounce the word /klooj/ but spell it "kludge" (compare the pronunciation drift of mung). Some observers consider this appropriate in view of its meaning. ["How to Design a Kludge", Jackson Granholme, Datamation, February 1962, pp. 30-31]. [Jargon File] (1998-12-09) Source: The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing, 1993-2001 Denis Howe kludge 1. /klooj/ n. Incorrect (though regrettably common) spelling of kluge (US). These two words have been confused in American usage since the early 1960s, and widely confounded in Great Britain since the end of World War II. 2. [TMRC] A crock that works. (A long-ago "Datamation" article by Jackson Granholme similarly said: "An ill-assorted collection of poorly matching parts, forming a distressing whole.") 3. v. To use a kludge to get around a problem. "I've kludged around it for now, but I'll fix it up properly later." This word appears to have derived from Scots `kludge' or `kludgie' for a common toilet, via British military slang. It apparently became confused with U.S. kluge during or after World War II; some Britons from that era use both words in definably different ways, but kluge is now uncommon in Great Britain. `Kludge' in Commonwealth hackish differs in meaning from `kluge' in that it lacks the positive senses; a kludge is something no Commonwealth hacker wants to be associated too closely with. Also, `kludge' is more widely known in British mainstream slang than `kluge' is in the U.S. Source: Jargon File 4.2.0 __________________________________________________________ word to check or q? On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Paul Tretter wrote:

 [3/4] from: whip::cs::unm::edu at: 9-Aug-2002 10:51

iamanXwin kluge: This came about because for some reason, under X windows, the font layout engine in REBOL View needed to go through once or else the text came out confined to a narrow strip running top to bottom. We haven't tracked down the cause yet, but it turns out that by doing a throwaway layout ( ie.: layout [text "iamanXwin kludge"] ) the problem was solved. Apparently evidence of this little throwaway kludge has been discovered. :-) -jeff

 [4/4] from: ptretter:charter at: 9-Aug-2002 15:41

Yeah, we finally have an explanation..... Thanks Jeff. I always wondered why that was there. Paul Tretter