[REBOL] Re: Spreadsheet
From: brett:codeconscious at: 4-Mar-2001 11:24
The thought occurred to me. I actually did come across a situation where we
wanted to provide spreadsheet functionality but in a very constrained
manner. The reason being that the users were already using spreadsheets and
were very nervous about causing errors. So they wanted a custom program
instead, but they needed flexibility in how to define a calculation.
We never did that app, because we were going to get a "better bang for buck"
by doing other things first.
Anyways my thoughts about doing this with Rebol:
1) Need to build a grid based entry interface style. Once done, very useful
for other Rebol applications.
2) Need to code a graph sorting algorithm that gets as input the
dependencies between cell calculations.
3) Need to provide all the little user-interface niceties that people expect
from spreadsheet applications.
4) Aim to keep as much power of Rebol as possible accessible to user entered
parts of the spreadsheet.
I think (1) is the most reusable for other applications. (2) is an
interesting problem to solve.
(3) may actually be the most amount of work in the project - users expect a
but (4) is a good justification for a Rebol powered spreadsheet - Rebol
programming can be made visual...