[REBOL] [ANN] News Site 2.5
From: norsepower::uswest::net at: 18-Sep-2000 0:33
News Site 2.5 (news-site.cgi), a CGI executable script written in REBOL which
allows you to update a news headlines Web site by sending an e-mail to a POP
account, can be downloaded at the following URL:
News Site (news-site.cgi) is a CGI executable script which checks a POP e-
mail account for new mail, verifies the e-mail is from a qualified
contributor (or deletes the e-mail), converts the contents of the e-mail
object (as understood by REBOL) into a "make object!" expression saved to a
file. These "make object!" expressions are set up as news articles, including
values for headlines, subheadlines, bylines, titles, body text in paragraphs,
reference numbers, file names, and approval status. The script also creates a
comments directory for each new article. When executed, News Site dynamically
creates the front page of a news-oriented web site. Currently prints the
following as text/html output:
1. html head and meta information.
2. stylesheet information.
3. banner information.
4. news headlines, bylines, articles, and article reference numbers.
5. a link to execute displaycomments.cgi, which renders the article again,
comments already made on the article, and a form for posting a new comment.
6. upon execution, news-site.cgi updates an .rss (Rich Site Summary) XML file
for the site.
Known problems include:
1. parse problem with tilde "~" characters when parsing e-mail message body
content for conversion to objects.
2. most recent articles are expected to show up in the tail end of a
directory because of the file-naming scheme. This has proven true on all test
systems with Windows NT and BeOS, but when used live on a Solaris machine the
articles appeared out of order.