[REBOL] Re: Core 2.6 - Last minute requests - take your chance!
From: brian:hawley at: 12-Apr-2002 9:26
Well I have a few...
- Add the to-rebol-file native that is in /View to /Core,
and to-local-file to do the reverse. Make them support
relative paths. Add function documentation for them.
- Integer division native!, action! or op!, to be more
efficient than to-integer (x / y). Is there one now?
Would it actually be more efficient?
- Actually release /Core/Pro on platforms where /View
is absent (like WinCE) or awkward (like Unix w/o X11).
I'd buy the WinCE one at least.
- Make certain the call native (when implemented) never
opens a visible console window unless necessary. In
particular, call/console should never do so. Neither
should a call to a non-console app, nor should it
when all forms of I/O are redirected explicitly, like
call/input/output/error. The current behavior makes
background or scripted use of call awkward. If you
really need to open a console, why not a hidden one?
(WinCE - Serious suggestions)
- Clipboard support in the interface, just like Windows.
- Command line support, just like Windows (used by the
command shell and file associations in the registry -
yes, WinCE has and uses those).
- An icon for the REBOL executable, just like Windows.
- Make now/precise not ignore the /precise refinement.
- Mention in the setup documentation that %user.r needs
to go in the root directory on WinCE. Better yet, why
not a REBOL_HOME setting in the registry like /View
on Windows. WinCE has no env vars or current dir.
- Add clipboard:// ports for /Core. WinCE doesn't have
/View, but always has a clipboard.
(WinCE - Dreams)
- /Core/Pro for WinCE (I don't want to learn Perl).
- /View for Pocket PC.
- Optimize the native code for either speed or size,
rather than for neither. Keep in mind that ARM
emulates floating point code, so use integers. REBOL
on my Jornada 820 is 10 times slower than on my p133
laptop, when almost everything else is comparable.
I'm sure that there is more that I could come up with,
but that must wait until later. Must sleep :(