[REBOL] Display device DPI
From: atruter::hih::com::au at: 22-Oct-2002 9:31
I am using REBOL to generate AbiWord documents (it has a nice XML file
format and supports embedded base64 PNG's). This works quite well, but
embedding a PNG requires you to specify its display height and width in
inches and here is where it gets interesting. I have run this on several
CRTs and 120 pixels to the inch (DPI) yields a jitter free image. On LCDs
the magic number appears to be 96 pixels to the inch. This got me to
thinking about the issues this raises:
1) Are these DPIs (120 and 96) representative of all CRT/LCD display
2) Does the OS know this number (the display DPI) and how can I access
3) Have others hit this, or a similar, WYSIWYG / scaling issue?
4) Do other file formats (eg. PDF, Word, Open Office, etc) have similar
issues (where the image dimensions are given in a unit of measure other
than pixels, and a document is generated on one display device and viewed
5) Am I just approaching this from the wrong POV?