[REBOL] Re: How to Send an Email Message as HTML?
From: allenk:powerup:au at: 6-Sep-2001 19:54
What type are you after?
Do you want,
A. Just send the page with links to the interent for the images?
B. The images embedded in the email msg or
(A). Is as simple as Cyphre example, though you may also need to set a base
address for the page or make the links full rather than relative.
1. Email is light and doesn't require the images to be bound in the doc
(less band width through your mailserver)
2. Really easy to do.
1. If the client is behind a fire wall or goes of line to read email, they
may not see any pictures (just std html placeholders
2 text/html type is not understood by all email clients, (sometimes you have
to use quoted printable with undesired results).
(B) Requires creating a multipart mime document with base64 encoded
attachments and uses CID tags (interenal doc mime content ID ref) to allow
the html email extract and display the image when the email is shown.
1. Client gets entire msg, no missing images. Great for offline
2. Can included a plain text version of the same msg for mime challenged
1. Size of email.
2. More complicated to create.
3. may only work for a limited range of email clients.
I have written a version of B but it was very tailored for a specific client
and page format (emailing financial reports with embedded graphs), so could
provide some incite here.